Monday, September 21, 2009

Week 3 - Blog Posting #6 -Communities of Practice

As a member of the media and a teacher I have built a considerable amount of connections throughout the year. I can remember when I started at my current school. My friend George, who I met in college convinced me to get into coaching girl's basketball. It was coaching that I met a number of coaches who would help me create my first sports site. If it weren't for George, I would never have met all theses people. It's funny how meeting one person can have a profound effect on the amount of people you could meet.

Social Media sites take the ease out of meeting one person at a time. With social media sites like Facebook, I am now able to meet a large number of people with similar interests and friends in a short amount of time. I have also been able to met up again with old friends and colleagues.

Reuters had a news clip on mixing Business and Facebook (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anfeIXvfQqE). One thing they point out is that Facebook makes it easier to make business connections, but the control is not there in regards to comments people can post about you. Another problem Reuters points out is that people can post old, or unprofessional pictures of you online which can be damaging. Reuters points out that many business people are moving towards Linkedin (http://www.linkedin.com/) for business connections. They prohibit pictures and comments on their site. Linkedin shows the people you are connected with but does not allow users to post comments about you.

I had a chance to read Andrew Barras' blog (http://educationstormfront.blogspot.com/) about this and he comments on dating sites. He comments that many people are uncomfortable about meeting people in bars and social places. I think that Social Media sites are ideal for dating but I don't like that approach to dating. If I am going to find my special someone, or maybe a crazy girlfriend. I want to meet her in person for the first time and make my normal bad impression. The internet makes it too convenient to hide our true selves and hide behind a mask of keystrokes and doctored photographs. Dating is the one thing we should exclude from the internet.

Check out Comedian Katt Williams as he lies about just about everything to get a date with a girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment