Monday, September 21, 2009

Week 3 - Blog Posting #5 -Social Media



I love this video, saw it about two years ago and it's gripping. As a person who has worked in computers and the internet for nine years I have seen such a tremendous growth in what we do on it. When I worked for Gateway computers in 99, the internet was a place to read news, send email, and buy some things on Ebay. In as little as ten years I pay my bills online, keep in contact with people and have created a small nest egg for myself.


Social Media is the next step in web interactivity. After seeing Mark Benn's blog (http://mackinacfurtrader.blogspot.com/) and his comments and video on whether social media is a fad I realized that everything is a fad, but also it is a step forward. I think that Myspace has become a fad that is fading away. Facebook has moved to the forefront at it is our current "It" website. Within the next couple years, or months, I am sure a new social media site will emerge offering something more dynamic and intriguing.




I think Social Media will be different than most fads we accept and play around with. I don't think we will ever go back and find ourselves playing Mario Brothers with the same excitement we did when it first came out in the late 80's. This is different from other fads like skinny jeans that are making a comeback (I hate them!), or Converse (Chuck Taylor's) and their constant reemergence every 15 years.




I think that Social Media is a two way street. Gone are the days when we didn't have a say on how things worked. Now, our opinions and suggestions can be relayed realtime in consumer generated media like Twitter, Facebook, Myspace and so on. This video on Social Media Explained is short but explains how we have a say now, something we didn't a couple years ago.




No comments:

Post a Comment